ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Free Netflix Reviews

When You're Strange - See - I'm not the biggest Doors fan but I am a sucker for a rockumentary. I liked the style in which this was done. It uses all old footage, no interviews (old or new), just Johnny Depp narrating the story of Jim Morrison and The Doors. Maybe it's his involvement with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but there's something about Depp's voice that is perfect for the late 60's early 70's sex, drugs and rock and roll.






Hell on Wheels - See - I think it's time to face facts. I have a roller derby problem. I'll watch just about anything that involves tattoos and women on skates. This documentary chronicles the beginnings of the roller derby revival in Austin. This fledgling league would eventually become the TXRD which is the league featured in A&E's series Roller Girls. I found it interesting to see where this all started and the power struggle that ensued. I was equally glad to see some of the girls from Roller Girls when they were a bit younger and not necessarily playing "characters" on a tv show.




Rolling Stones: Stones in Exile - See - This was the documentary that was made for the release of the remastered Exile on Main Street CD. I've always held the opinion that it was no coincidence the Rolling Stones made their best album after the break up of The Beatles. Throughout the 60's The Stones always seemed to be following in the wake of their big brothers The Beatles. Changing music styles one step behind them. Then when they were the biggest band left standing, they went out and made the album that best expressed the aesthetic they had been culturing throughout the 60's. I think the most amazing thing about Exile is The Stones made their most American album while living as English tax exiles in the south of France. Who said nothing good ever came out of France?


Shane McGowan: If I Should Fall from Grace - See - There's a really interesting internal tug of war that happens to you as you watch this movie. The instant you hear the Pogues music start you have an overwhelming desire to break out the Irish whiskey and drink until you pass out. Then you see the state Shane McGowan is in and you never want to touch alcohol again. Here's a fun game I played while watching. Count how many words McGowan says that you can actually understand then compare that to the number of teeth he still has. It's closer than you think.


Shine - See - I'm a little embarrassed that it took me 14 years to see Shine. I really don't have any excuse. It's a movie I always wanted to see but for what ever reason it continued to fall through the cracks. Thankfully, we now have Netflix. I'm glad I finally got see it. It's a pretty amazing and inspiring story about a piano prodigy that has a mental break down. Though I loved the movie overall, I was pretty disappointed with the way the movie kind of limps to its climax and then just ends. The performances of Noah Taylor and Geoffrey Rush are worth the price of admission by themselves.




On the Waterfront - See -  This is young Brando at his absolute best. One of the things I love about Netflix instant watch is the ability to go back and watch some of the best movies ever made. On the Waterfront is definitely on that list. Brando and Karl Malden both deliver beautiful performances. This is a movie for anyone that loves great acting or wants to stick it to their boss.


Youth in Revolt - See - Before you even push play you can pretty much guess how this is going to go. Let's face it.  It stars Michael Cera which means it will be about a socially uncomfortable teenager who really likes a girl and his struggle to get said girl. Does that cover it? Yeah, no one's breaking new ground here but there are enough laughs to make this a See. Plus, Zach Galifianakis, enough said.






Marathon Man - See - This week's 70's classic is another good one. Spies, check. Nazis, check. Dustin Hoffman, check. Torture with a dental tools, check. Yep, sounds like a great 70's movie.

Roller Girls: Season 1 - See - I finally finished season 1 of Roller Girls. Unfortunately, there wasn't ever a season 2. I enjoyed this series quite a bit. Tattooed chicks on skates getting drunk and beating the crap out of each other. What's not to like? I've really got to make it out to a Houston Roller Derby bout one of these days.




Clash of the Titans - See - I was pleasantly surprised here. I went in to this expecting to hate every minute. I didn't and actually enjoyed quite a bit of it. The movie is far from great and fails to leave a lasting impression but as a way to spend ninety minutes, it wasn't bad. If given the choice I'd always pick over the remake but that is probably true of most people that see a movie as a kid then it's remake as an adult. Long live Burgess Meredith! What?....Oh never mind.

2 comments:

  1. Houston Roller Derby is holding it's Championship bout on September 18th! You should come, otherwise you'll have to wait until next season! Get tickets at www.houstonrollerderby.com

    --Wicked Sweet #30

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to come out for the bout. That's a tough date though. That's the night of the Texas v. Texas Tech game.

    ReplyDelete