ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Monday, January 31, 2011

Shameless - "Casey Casden" Review

“They’re having a party across the street. For Kids. No booze. What’s the point?” - Frank

When it comes to watching Shameless it becomes about identifying with the Gallaghers. If you can identify with some or any of the characters, you can appreciate the show. I appreciate the show. I appreciate the show. I understand the struggle to make ends meet and working hard to get what you need. However, what I hadn’t understood was the lack of desire to better themselves. It wasn’t until this episode where I first heard Fiona utter a sentiment about the desire to improve their situation. In a moment of exhaustion she said, “I hope I’m not fucking up the kids.” This is the first instance where I felt that honestly Fiona wanted to better their situation.

As for the specific story of this week’s episode it was nice to have a self contained episodic plot line. Girl steals baby, Galaghers make a plan, Gallaghers execute plan, Gallaghers get rewarded. Hold on. Gallaghers get rewarded? They stole a baby and lied about it. Yet they end up getting rewarded? Correct. The writers do a brilliant job of painting them in a sympathetic light that we forgive the transgression and cheer the outcome. It’s a curious dynamic the writers have initiated.

Two of my favorite characters on the show since the start have been Kevin and Veronica. It’s nice to see that the show is about to tip in the direction of their soon to be marriage. I found this story line a bit strange because we hadn’t figured out the story with Steve and Fiona, but I guess we are to just assume that that worked out. I predict we’ll see less and less of Tony when it comes to Fiona’s love life.

I’m still not into Frank as a lead character. I don't know what he adds, and I certainly didn’t understand the seduction of him by Lip’s girlfriend. I hope he starts to play a part in the evolution of the family or else I see no point for his character, but I don’t see the show getting rid of them, and thus I feel the show is will be stuck in neutral.
So what do we want from the Gallaghers? Do we want them to better themselves? Or do we just want them to survive and be happy? I think these questions will start to answer themselves in the coming episodes.

Random Thoughts:

-Why was the baby dressed in a Superman costume?
-Hardly any Liam in this episode. Weird considering the whole last epsiode was about him and finding a new fake girlfriend.
-I hope we get more of Veronica’s mom. She seems like a party.
-I guess we won’t be privy to the conversation where Fiona and Steve get back together,
-Looking forward to Mac’s mom from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia being on next week’s episode.

What are your thoughts on the Gallagher’s situation?

1 comment:

  1. I thought the end where Kev revealed to Fiona that he's already been engaged (scene can be viewed at http://vimeo.com/19464861) was a great way to finish this episode off - Steve Howey did a great job of really selling it there.

    Also thought it was really cool that they used Tokyo Police Club's "Wait Up (Boots of Danger)" during that scene, and thought the song they changed to for the end credits was awesome, too. Does anybody know that second song?

    ReplyDelete