ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Thursday, December 16, 2010

1560 The Game part 1: John & Lance


I've been a 1560 listener since the first minute they started broadcasting. Well kind of, those first few months the signal was pretty sketchy, especially out in Cypress. I've been a long time gamer none the less. In fact, I've been listening to John and Lance since way back when they were The Bench. I suffered with them through the Russ Small experiment and laughed through the J-Fizzle years. I remember when John Harris was just Lance's friend who knew a shit ton about college football. What I'm trying to say is, I've been around and I've got opinions.

I started planning a 1560 blog post 2-3 months ago after Travis Rodgers was fully entrenched in his new position but for whatever reason never got around to writing it. Then a few weeks ago I read a post concerning the John & Lance show and Chris Solis at Houston Media Watch. This post along with the 1560 listener survey finally convinced me that yes I do need to put my thoughts on the station down.

As just a base of where I'm coming from, here's a little about me and my listening habits. I've been a stay at home dad for three years now. I spend an average of 5-8 hours a day listening to 1560. On a typical day I start streaming John and Lance at about 7 am and stop listening to Sean and John somewhere around 6 pm. Life and it's many detours keep me tuning in and out all through the day.

Now that you know my listening experience, how much I listen, what I listen to and why I'm writing this let's get going with the John and Lance Show.

The Hosts

What I like

John and Lance have been the gold standard of morning shows for a decade now. They have tremendous chemistry and through years of experience have learned to play off of each others strengths. You can tell these guys genuinely like each other without feeling compelled to agree on everything. Some of their best segments are when they are on opposites sides of an issue.

John's strengths are in driving the show and his willingness to push the boundaries of appropriateness without being overtly offensive. John is also the only radio personality who you don't want to change the channel during live spots. He has a confidence in his relationships with sponsors that allows him the freedom to go sideways with their live spots. The fact that you never know when that is going to happen keeps me tuned in when I would usually be checking in elsewhere.

Lance continues to be one of the funniest guys on radio. He has an array of characters he's developed through the years along with some very good impersonations. I don't want to be the one to pull the curtain back on the wizard so I won't list the characters but they can be heard on various 1560 shows throughout the day.

Both hosts have good sports acumen, although Lance is generally the go to guy for scheme and player analysis, especially concerning football.

Lance has developed a quality list of contacts he's able to call on for inside information and bring on for analysis.

John has very good local contacts and a well developed pipeline of information.

Lance can also be counted on for quality television and movie recommendations.

Points of Criticism

Years ago I almost had to quit listening to the show because Lance's eating on the show drove me absolutely nuts. He's improved greatly in this area but on occasion that old demon will rear its ugly head.

Anytime there's more than just the two hosts, there's a tendency for everyone to talk over one another.

I want Ketch back during the football season. This may be an issue because of the station he works for in Austin but his past appearances for big Longhorn games were pure radio gold.

Gary Trichter - If I ever get divorced, I'm pretty sure his commercials are going to play a big part in it. My wife was hit by a drunk driver when she was a teenager and we both find driving drunk despicable. Whenever the Gary Trichter spots come on, my wife starts fuming and I'm faced with the choice of changing the station of riding around with a pissed off woman in the car. I think you can figure out what I choose. 

Regular Contributors

Richard Justice - I'm one of the four people that really liked Richard Justice's original show on 1560. He always had a great lineup of both local and national guests. He was at his best when having a casual conversation with the likes of Peter Gammons or Kirk Bohls. However, Richard is more in his element the way he's being used now. Justice is plugged in to all the local teams including UT and A&M. He's not afraid to give his opinion on the state of the franchises although that opinion is prone to change on a dime. The dynamic he has on each show is a little different which keeps his appearances fresh. My biggest complaint with Justice would be that he tends to offer up the same anecdotes from show to show.


Chris Solis - Solis is a sniper. That is what he's there for and he's really good at that job. Anyone looking for analysis on the Texans running game would do well to look elsewhere. But if you want someone to offer a biting quip on Drayton McLane's apparent cheapness, then Solis is your man.

Adam Caplan - Caplan offers very good NFL information with his own unique opinions. His laid back delivery is very reminiscent of Mike Leach. Caplan isn't quite as dynamic or staunchly opinionated as Mike Lombardi but he is very good and a quality Twitter follow.

Joel Dreesen - I'm not a fan of player shows in general. Steve McKinney was about the only player show I found worth listening to and that was only when he wasn't talking football. Players aren't going to offer honest insight into the teams problems so I'm not sure what the point of having them on is. I usually spend this hour listening to my ipod.

Kevin Sumlin, Les Miles - The only thing worse than player shows is a segment of coach speak. No insight has ever been gained by speaking to a coach in season unless that coach is named Jeff Van Gundy. I'm a Texas fan and I wouldn't even listen to a Mack Brown segment if 1560 had one. Now Mack Brown on a mobile is a completely different story.

Del - I didn't care for Del's contribution to the show at first even though he was a breath of fresh air following the Raheel era. However, Del has grown on me over the past couple of months. The little snuggie of hate definitely has his own on air persona. I'm still not big on everything being a racial issue but maybe that's just played up for effect.

Listener Interaction

I am so glad the morning show isn't caller driven. There are a few good callers to the show like Lesbian Craig, Jose and Mouton but quality callers like this are few and far between. Longhorn Scott is very entertaining and his ability to get listeners riled up is high comedy at the expense of the lowest common denominator. Most of the rest of the show callers I can do without. Brad is Spring Branch is good for a laugh in small doses. PD is barely coherent and every time he calls I just start hearing the DBT song "The Company I Keep" playing in my head. Once guy, Kirby I think it was, called the other day to tell a freaking joke. Yeah, a joke like you'd read in a "The 1001 Dirtiest Jokes" book. Worse still, it was a bad joke. Let's leave the comedy to the professionals fellas.

Gilbert? Next.

We don't need calls about how great your pee wee football team is or your hitting instructions for Hunter Pence because you coached Little League for 6 years. We don't need you you play Rockets GM even though you've devised a way to get Kobe and Carmelo if only you could get Daryl Morey to listen. If you have a legitimate opinion to offer and you absolutely must share it then, fine call. But don't subject the rest of us to your scripted routine you've already delivered on 790, complete with fake anger and yelling. We didn't care for it the first time and don't want to hear it again.


Around the Dial


610 - I don't fall into their 55-85 year old target demographic so I don't listen to them, ever.

97.5 - Mike & Mike is actually worse than the name would suggest. ESPN hasn't had a decent national show since Tony Kornheiser and Dan Patrick left the network. Don't waste your time.

790 - Matt and Adam are my alternative of choice. Wexler was terribly underused for years at 610. He offers smart well developed analysis on the Houston sports scene. Matt Jackson, I can take or leave as a host. I think Jackson is better when simply talking sports and offering opinions. Whenever, he consciously tries to do comedy, he misses the mark, badly. My biggest issue with Matt and Adam is their tendency to lift bits from other shows. If you hear a good bit or segment on another show, there's a good chance you're going to hear something very similar on their show very soon. They have a good show overall though.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great great take on this. I really thought I was the only one that thought some of these things like the on air eating. I literally feel like my head is going to explode when I hear it. I immediately switch the dial to XM.

    The Raheel experiment was god awful and I didn't like Del at first but he's growing on me. To be honest though, the less the producer talks the better imho.

    And I'm glad I finally found someone else who liked Justice's show. I've never understood why so many seem to hate the guy.

    And I thought the reason I hate player shows was because I'm not a Texan fan, so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. However, I will say that this week's show was outstanding. I normally turn it but I kept it on because I was almost to work and he actually gave an honest opinion and showed some real emotion that I have never heard before on a player's show. Granted he was WAY off on his opinion re: Kubiak and what it takes to make a great team, but it was still fascinating to listen to him.

    Gilbert has officially run it's course. I want to throat punch my radio every time they go to him and he's sleeping. It was funny the first time 5 years ago. It's gotten exponentially less funny in the 13,000 times it's happened since then.

    I love Longhorn Scott. As a Sooner fan he's the epitome of everything I love to hate about longhorns.

    I refuse to listen to anyone else local, when I switch the channel I go to Cowherd in the morning (who has a certain carwreck appeal in that I can't seem to turn away despite hating the guy) and the Petros and Money show in the evenings which other than J&L is the best thing on radio for my money.


    Once again, great blog, keep em coming.

    Sooner Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreesen was mesmerizing the other morning. I usually don't listen during that hour but I've never heard a player so depressed.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete