ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Making of a Riot Grrrrrrl




I don't know about anyone else but for me being a parent usually involves one of the following; laughing, screaming, gritting my teeth, wanting to throw myself in front of a train or wanting to throw someone else in front of a train. But every once in a while there's a moment that validates everything you've done up to that point.


On our drive home from school on Thursday, I was listening to a "Genius" mix of stuff from the 90's. Juliana Hatfield's "Universal Heartbeat" came on and about half through it I looked in the back seat to see Audrey dancing and swinging her hair like a crazed Metallica fan. As soon as it was over she started begging me to play it again. Three listens later she wanted to hear another song with a lot of guitars and  a girl singing. I put on Verruca Salt's "Volcano Girls" and it sent her into another head banging trance.






Later that evening she asked me if I could help her make a cd with girl singers but they had to really rock. I went through my iTunes library playing samples of songs for her and getting either a thumbs up or thumbs down. Her mom tried to make suggestions but those songs were way to mellow for her tastes. We shouldn't be surprised though. This is the same kid that after watching Girls Rock! let us know under no uncertain terms that once she turns eight she will be going to this summer camp.

I'm very thankful that my kid doesn't blindly follow whatever is popular among her friends. She knows who Hannah Montana, The Jonas Brothers, etc. are but she doesn't like their music. On her "Secret Pals" questionnaire she listed Wilco as her favorite band. She loves music that makes you move and makes you through your fist in the air. I love her for that. I should wait a couple years to introduce her to the Slits though.

List of artists on Audrey's Riot Grrrl cd:
  • Veruca Salt
  • Juliana Hatfield
  • Sleater Kinney
  • Bikini Kill
  • Hole
  • Joan Jett
  • Kim Deal Pixies songs
  • Breeders
  • The Donnas

2 comments:

  1. I actually have a "girls rock" tape from the 90's. I am sure Audrey would approve! I'm inspired to go find it and though I'm just having a section on Friday and don't have to deal with labor, I will listen to it at the hospital for inspiration. Maybe I'll find some more stuff for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on Friday. She'll be in good company. I turn 39 on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete