ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Netflix by Netflix: The Making of ApeDonkey M0001

I figured if Netflix is going to raise prices on me, I damn well better use it. At least, that's what my wife was thinking. I didn't read the entire message about why they were raising prices but honestly, when I saw the price change headline, I thought they were going to drop the price. Seemed logical to me since I now have to wait a month for new releases plus an aggressive ad campaign by Blockbuster for their mail order service. Fortunately for Netflix, I'll give up watching movies before I'll give those Blockbuster sons of bitches one penny.

I had a good return to action and hit on 4 quality flicks.

Me and Orson Welles - See it - Of the movies this week, this one was the closest to the line between see it and don't see it. The two factors that probably pushed it over to the right side were Christian McKay's performance as Orson Welles and the coolness factor of a story involving people like John Houseman, Orson Welles and their famous Mercury Theater. The best thing I can say about Zac Efron's performance is that I didn't spend the whole movie thinking "why the hell am I watching a movie with Zac Efron in it?"




Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037 - See it - Can you imagine a more boring title or subject matter? Maybe "Page by Page: The Silent Reading of the 1903 Farmer's Almanac." The good thing is the title is the only part of this documentary that isn't fascinating. I find anyone who has a passion for what they do fascinating. I've never had that experience. Every job I've ever had has been just that a job. So, when I find someone who really loves what they do, I'm hooked. The documentary follows the making of a single concert piano, Steinway L1037 over the course of the year it takes to make a piano. Along the way you get to know the people who have dedicated their lives and craft to the Steinway company along with the dedication they and the company have to making a quality hand made product. You also get an inside look at the process a pianist goes through when choosing an instrument for a concert. Both processes of making and choosing a piano are educational and riveting.

Wristcutters: A Love Story - See it -Maybe you like Charlie Kaufman type of movies, maybe you like that kid from Almost Famous or maybe you're just a really big Tom Waits fan. Regardless the reason, you should see this movie. The movie takes place in a purgatory type world reserved exclusively for people who kill themselves. The movie opens when Zia (Patrick Fugit) kills himself over the loss of his girlfriend. He wakes up in a gray world in which life is an eternal mundane existence where no one ever smiles. Once Zia finds out his ex girlfriend is also in this world of suicide victims, he and his lone friend, Eugene set out on an adventure to find her. The end of the movie neither surprised nor disappointed me but the journey I found very enjoyable. As a chronic movie/television watcher I enjoyed the familiar faces along the way. Will Arnett, Shea Whigham (Eli Thompson from Boardwalk Empire) both play major roles but I was especially excited to see Ron Swanson as a less than enthusiastic cop.


Just as a side note, if they ever decide to make an Uncle Tupelo biopic, Patrick Fugit is a lock cinch to play a young Jeff Tweedy.



I Need That Record! - See it - The death of the independent record store breaks my heart. There was a record store out here in Cypress that I nearly single handed kept in business. I used to go there a couple times a week and spent a hundreds of dollars a month there. It was the last place in this area I could go to find new music by bands that I wanted to hear. I couldn't find Archers of Loaf, The Mountain Goats, Apples in Stereo or The Mayflies USA at the local Best Buy. I Need That Record! chronicles that experience from both sides of the story. The documentary is told mostly from the dying shop owners view while mixing in interviews with customers and musicians. It's possible I liked this movie more than some because I connected so closely with the subject matter. However, anyone concerned with the plight of the small business owner or if you just love music should enjoy this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment