ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Saturday, February 26, 2011

ApeDonkey Staff Official Oscar Ballots


Yes I'm officially upgrading Barry and I to the title of staff. Here is our official Oscar ballots and by official I mean, on record. Maybe one day Barry will be a member of the Academy and we can all say we knew him when. Until then the official ApeDonkey ballots will have to do.

Best Picture


Fidoz
My Pick: Black Swan
Prediction: The King's Speech

Black Swan was my personal favorite of the contenders but with no real dominant film the voters will default to historical importance.

Barry
My Pick: Black Swan
Prediction: The King's Speech

I don't have a problem with either of these two or The Social Network winning. All deserving.

 
Best Director

Fidoz
My Pick: Darren Aronofsky
Prediction: David Fincher

Fincher is thrown a bone as The Social Network is shutout in most of the other categories.

Barry
My Pick: David Fincher
Prediction: Tom Hooper

Both were faced with the daunting task of making something inherently not very interesting and making it extremely interesting.

Best Actor

Fidoz
My Pick: Colin Firth
Prediction: Colin Firth

Firth should have won last year for A Single Man and is this year's biggest lock.


Barry
My Pick: Colin Firth
Prediction: Colin Firth

This performance coupled with his snub of Single Man's performance all but guarantee him this win.

Best Actress

Fidoz
My Pick: Natalie Portman
Prediction: Natalie Portman

Portman's was far and away my favorite performance by any actor this year.


Barry
My Pick: Natalie Portman
Prediction: Natalie Portman

A lot of late steam for Annette Benning, but I just don't think anyone can watch both performances and put Benning over Portman.

Best Supporting Actor

Fidoz
My Pick: John Hawkes
Prediction: Geoffery Rush

I think either Bale or Portman are going to be upset. I'm putting my money on the actor in The King's Speech.


Barry
My pick: Christian Bale
Prediction: Christian Bale

Perhaps the biggest lock even with Rush winning the BAFTA.

Best Supporting Actress

Fidoz
My Pick: Hailee Steinfeld
Prediction: Hailee Steinfeld

Voters will split between Adams and Leo. The rest will be like me and moved by Steinfeld's ability to hold her own opposite Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon.


Barry
My Pick: Amy Adams
Prediction: Melissa Leo

Perhaps the most contested award. I wouldn't be surprised or upset with a Hailee Steinfeld win either.

Best Documentary Feature

Fidoz
My Pick: Restrepo
Prediction: Restrepo

I don't know how voters can not be moved to vote for Restrepo. Powerful Documentary.


Barry
My pick: Exit Through the Gift Shop
Prediction: Inside Job

I just don't think Exit has the substance necessary to win. Restrepo also great.

Best Screenplay Original

Fidoz
My Pick: The King's Speech
Prediction: The King's Speech

The King's Speech keeps rolling in the weakest of all the fields.


Barry
My Pick: The King's Speech
Prediction: The King's Speech

My thoughts on Inception are well documented so I would lament a win here.

Best Screenplay Adapted

Fidoz
My Pick: The Social Network
Prediction: The Social Network

Give Sorkin a very big trophy for making FaceBook interesting.


Barry
My Pick: The Social Network
Prediction: The Social Network

Sorkin desperately needs to thank Ben Mezrich for the work he put in. Also, what was Toy Story 3 adapted from? Or are all sequels put into the adapted category?

Best Cinematography

Fidoz
My Pick: The Social Network
Prediction: True Grit

I thought The Social Network was a beautifully shot film but Oscar voters love the expanse of western landscapes.


Barry
My Pick: Inception
Prediction: Inception

None of my problems with Inception have to do with its stunning visuals. And after it's ASC award, Inception is the clear leader to sweep the tech awards.

5 comments:

  1. Good post, guys. Another thing to keep in mind with Cinematography is that Roger Deakins is nominated for True Grit. This is his 8th nomination and he has never won (shockingly), so I just can't see Oscar passing him up this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel better about my prediction already. Thanks Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have you know that I was perfect in these predictions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah but I can live with myself for following my heart. You sold your soul.

    ReplyDelete