ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Glee - "Comeback" Review

“Who’s more rock and roll than Justin Bieber? No one. That’s who.” -Sam

Glee walked a fine line tonight. It was able to touch on aspects of things I both love and hate about the show. This was by no means Glee’s worst episode, far from it, but it is still standing in it’s own way from being great.

Let’s start with one of Glee’s biggest problem: Sue Sylvester. Glee is searching for a way to use Sue. We love Jane Lynch’s portrayal of her, but all the jokes are becoming hackneyed and we know the Glee club will not be disbanded anytime soon and the abuse on the students is more implausible than the kids spontaneously breaking into song. The success of the show lies within the relationship of the kids and their quest for regionals. There was way too much of the adults in this episode and the show is going out of its way to make Will and Sue likable again. I’m not unhappy about the appearance of pediatric cancer patients. Glee has proven that it can use material like this very effectively, as evidenced by Sue caring for her disabled sister, but this came across as pandering. It just seemed like they were using them to build the likability of Will and Sue. I didn’t buy it and I didn’t like it. If we care about one adult relationship, it’s between Will and Emma and that appears to be off the radar.

Now credit given where credit is due. Aside from the obvious question of how did Oral Intensity get this far without a coach, I like the idea of Sue being the coach there. It will essentially allow the show to focus back on New Directions while still allowing Sue to be a road block that we don’t have to deal with week in and week out. Hopefully with Sue being out of the spotlight we can get more Kurt. The lack of Chris Colfer is inexcusable. I worried about the show’s split focus and tonight Glee suffered. Kurt is just to interesting and dynamic to leave out of any episode. We need him back at McKinley High ASAP!

As for what I did love about this episode, count me a fan of just about every number on the show tonight. They served a purpose and moved the story. The rendition of “Take Me or Leave Me” from Rent was especially on the money. Here we have Rachel Berry singing another Idina Menzel joint. I think it would have been funny if when she was on the cast Rachel just one time said, “Has anyone ever told you you look exactly like Idina Menzel?” Maybe that’s only funny to me. I’m with Glee. Justin Bieber is an epic talent and I’m surprised it took this long to get some of the Beebs on the show. Sam could use a little more dance lessons if he really wants to be The Justin Bieber Experience. Maybe Harry Shum Jr. can teach him some things. It’s clear Tina is learning a little something from him as she booty bumped with Brittany during Lauren’s song.

I also really love anytime the show chooses to focus on the whims of high school students and how it effects their relationships. I really like the love triangle between Sam, Quinn, and Santana. Or is it between Sam/Quinn/Rachel/Finn/Santana? More of a love pentagon I guess you could say. I don’t find all the make up break stuff annoying because it emulates the real life of students. Further, anytime we get to see more of Naya Rivera, I’m a fan. I believe that she can be the answer to the show’s “Sue Crisis.” Santana should just embrace the full time role antagonist. It will focus the show and allow for tension in the group itself. Too many outside influences are watering down the narrative.

Other thoughts:

-Though I’m not exactly sure where the plot line began, I thought it was a nice bit of humor to have all the girls start dressing like Brittany who was just copying Rachel. It seems like it was all a set up for Finn to say that Rachel was the real trend setter. Which leads me to my next point....

-An original song is exactly what this show needs! We’ve heard all sorts of different covers of rock, rap, showtunes and this would really add a lot. I don’t know if I love that Rachel will be writing and performing her own song. I hope it’s more of a group effort.

-Sue’s voice over’s while she’s writing in her diary are annoying. Don’t talk down to the audience. We know Sue is going to try and take down the Glee club, just show us. Don’t tell us and then show us. Redundant.

-Did I see the words “Avatar On Ice” in print? I’d for sure watch that.

Brittany line of the week: “I wore a tank top today because I thought it was summer. No one taught me how to read a calendar.” -Brittany

Kurt line of the week: NONE BECAUSE HE WASN’T IN THE SHOW!

7 comments:

  1. HA HA awesome!

    Jesus ^_^

    ReplyDelete