ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Modern Family "Two Monkeys and a Panda" Review

The biggest indictment of how far Modern Family has fallen this season is that of the shows I watch on Wednesday night it was placed fifth on my priority list. As a show I thought was the best new show last year, this is a stunning fall from grace. I've started to wonder is it the writing is that much weaker or has the newness and novelty just worn off? It's hard to say at this point but one this is for sure the honeymoon is definitely over.

Last night's episode did have its share of highlights. Phil doing Phil stuff like having a spa day by himself was excellent. "You should totally get bangs...you have the face for it. I don't." This kind of environment was right in the Phil wheelhouse. Even him getting advice on how to deal with Claire was well done. I thought Phil getting a win for successfully using the advice he received at the spa was a nice touch. There's so many times he's completely clueless, it's nice to see him succeed now and again.

An episode with the Dunphy kids but not Luke is a big miss for me. I'm an unabashed fan of Luke. The other two register a big whatever for me these days. Maybe it's because I'm a male and I don't get the sister/sister relationship but I don't find Haley and Alex interesting at all. One of the biggest issues this season has been the writing for Claire. She has been neither a funny character nor a sympathetic character this season. She's just been busy.

Jay's personal victory to have himself placed on the mantle in a coffee can made me laugh along with the kooky couple they wanted to buy the crypt space from. The "tada" argument was OK but not one of the finer moments. The better moments with this side of the family are between Jay and Manny. The man to man talks they have always include a nice nugget or two of manly advice Manny is able to pass on to Jay.

The "Two Monkeys and a Panda" stuff was a total miss for me. Cam in hysterics is usually good but the flashbacks were very forced and disingenuous tonight. Even getting Lily to clap when they said adoption because of something  he saw on Oprah fell pretty flat. I prefer Cam when he's overconfident and moving towards hysterics otherwise he comes off as a poor man's Albert from The Birdcage. 

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, I continue to watch the show for the highlights because each episode has a few. However, as a whole the series still seems a bit lost with where they are taking our favorite modern family.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your review. You hit it head on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Leave your name next time. We love getting comments.

    ReplyDelete