ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Survivor: Redemption Island Recap and Analysis Episode 4

“It’s just what I call The Shepherd...STAMP!” -Philip

Survivor started with giving Philip a lot of screen time. I often think that leads to their exit. It’s been my experience that the director of episodes kind of give a swan song to the survivor leaving the show. However, I think with Philip it’s just that he’s TV gold! In no way is he going to win, but he sure is entertaining to watch.

I worried last week that the next few episodes wouldn’t be as good because there’d be no drama. Each tribe has a strong alliance and there are people on the outs of those alliances. If Zapatera wins immunity, then it will be Philip or Kristina and if Ometepe wins, Stephanie is as good as gone. So the show needed drama to come from somewhere else. Be it Redemption Island, the challenge itself or at camp. Unfortunately we didn’t really get it from anywhere.

At Redemption Island we had a battle between Russell Hance and Matt. I really want Russell to stay in the competition for the drama he brings, but I do think it would be cool to see Matt stay the duration and come back. The challenge is not purely physical and Matt ends up winning. There wasn’t drama in the challenge, but what happened after was pretty interesting. The show is allowing the person kicked out to talk to contestants who attend the duel. Here, once Russell stops crying, he spills the beans about his whole tribe. This would not have been possible in any other season except this one, so it will be interesting to see what comes of this in the future.

Back at camp, my wish came true. Boston Rob found the hidden immunity idol! Best of all, he lied about taking a crap in order to get time to find it. Classic move Rob. I don’t think there could be two more different players to hold the idols then Ralph and Rob. Rob will make all the right moves with it and Ralph is a buffoon. Prediction: either Ralph gives the idol away or goes home with it in his pocket.

The immunity challenge is largely devoid of suspense as Zapatera leads from wire to wire. We do get to see just how freakishly athletic the ex-football player Grant is, but it was all in vain as Zapatera showed they still have a strong tribe even after throwing a challenge to get rid of Russell. So back at camp Ometepe, true to my guess, has to decide between Kristina and Phillip. This isn’t any big drama, but I just think Philip is such an interesting character I don’t want to see him go. Though I would be interested to see whether the lion or the gorilla comes out at Redemption Island. Question. Anybody wonder just what investigations Philip has been on? He clearly has no problem being candid, so I hope we hear something outlandish like “I shot a man in the jaw cuz he wouldn’t stop interrupting me.” Well I get my wish and we keep Phillip. See ya later Kristina. Good luck versus Matt! You’ll need it.

One observation is that both tribes are all about out of their “free votes.” When you’re playing gin, you have some very easy decisons with what cards to discard as you make moves to get your sets in order. But eventually, you have to make a decision to discard something you’ve been collecting since the beginning or abandon a new strategy that you’ve just cooked up. This is not unlike these tribes. They each have created a fairly large alliance and we’re getting to where someone might need to make a move to get in a better position. Someone like Julie is in a dangerous position because she has to consider herself the first to go if it’s just the alliance left. So, although I think there’s still one more drama-less episode, I look for it to be shaken up pretty quickly soon there after.

My Pick to Win: Mike the Marine

2 comments:

  1. I would be 100% fine with Russell and Boston Rob being Perma Castaways on Survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Survivor is faced with the daunting task of providing the viewers with a little something extra in each season. We saw last season with Fabio that just straight casting a regular season may not work again. Need some sort of gimmick. And after 21 seasons, I'm ok with a gimmick.

    ReplyDelete