ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Glee - "Original Song" Review

“All I know is you blew me off to be with Stubbles McCripple Pants.” -Santana

Glee is always most successful when it focuses on the stories and lives of the students as they push toward winning the next competition their Glee club comes across. This particular episode was a return form where Glee reminded of us the potential this show has. There are extremely talented kids on set so it baffles me when the show chooses not to highlight them. I knew we were going to be in for a solid episode when it appeared the focus was going to be largely on the students. However, I never quite felt like the episode fully delivered. It was as if was about to sneeze and then I looked at a light and the sneeze went away. Was my need to sneeze curbed? Yes. But it wasn’t in the most satisfying of ways.

Glee has always done performance episodes so well. But why was this one not as strong as the others? Quite simply, we’re not emotionally attached to anything going on in the club. Before we had so many different issues going on the performances were extremely cathartic. Whether it was Quinn’s pregnancy, Rachel’s love story with Jonathan Groff, or the fact that New Directions was truly an underdog story. I felt that rooting for New Directions was like rooting for Duke. No matter how average they’ve been, we still hear a lot about how great they are and inevitably they win. Now I realize this was New Directions first win at regionals, but did anyone have any real doubt? It just seemed like it would have been really really easy to beat Oral Intensity and The Warblers. They’re nothing compared to how great Vocal Adrenaline was. Yes it was interesting to hear them do original songs, but you can’t honestly tell me that performance was better than the other ones they did. This brings me back to my original point about being emotionally invested in the characters.

Glee realized that they had to play catch up with the Quinn/Finn/Rachel story so they threw it in at the end of last weeks episode and devoted a lot of screen time to it early in this episode. It all seemed so rushed. I just never felt *that* sad for Rachel when she was singing. Finn hasn’t done anything this season to merit that much attention from her. I will give Diana Aragon and Lea Michelle credit for acting the pants of their scene in the auditorium. I really felt honest emotions coming from Quinn as she admitted to Rachel that she was better and that she was going to be the one to get out of Ohio. It’s almost as if Finn was her consolation prize. I wasn’t so sure I was feeling the scene at first because I thought Quinn was being uncharacteristically mean to Rachel, but then she showed us that she was just being brutally honest and sometimes that’s going to sting a little.

Last week I really liked the Santana and Brittany story line because I felt it was came from a real place and presented some very challenging emotions for a teenager. However in this particular episode, they decided to crush all momentum that story line had going. It was simple, but all Santana had to say was “I don’t know what I was thinking.” And there we have it. Don’t be surprised if that story line never comes back. But this just highlights another problem Glee has. I know that emotions of high school students are subject to whims and passing fancies, but changing gears every two episodes really retards any forward momentum and thus we can never fully commiserate with any of the characters. Really the only properly written arc was that of Kurt and Blaine. The writers took their time and fully developed the relationship before culminating it tonight. However, because Dalton Academy is detached from the heart of the show, I felt this story fell flat as well despite the best efforts of Chris Colfer who continues to impress on screen.

It’s not enough to write one good episode, stick at the end and hope that all is forgiven. I think we can apply some lyrics from Rachel’s song to my feelings on the show: “How many times will it take to get it right.” Although I found this episode very enjoyable, I felt it never quite peaked. Glee has a lot of cleaning up to do and I’m not so sure they’re going to start the process anytime soon. I think we’re going to have to be ok with the lack of character development and choppy plot if we are going to enjoy the show going forward.

Other thoughts:

I was happy to see the show realize The Warblers really was just the Blaine show. Even Kurt realized it, and Kurt knows best. However, even though they acknowledged their problem, they sang a duet and went right back to it being Blaine singing Pink with the Pips.

I need to applaud Glee for letting the kids struggle with songwriting at first. One of my complaints with the show is that the students are so great at everything they do the first time around. So it was nice to see the development process for once. It allowed us to see Will do some real teaching, even though he blew it by telling the students to write a song based on a title they came up with.

Speaking of the songs in development, I’m going to have to disagree with Finn. I think “My Headband” > “Only Child.” If I’m rating some of these original songs, I say “Big Ass Heart” has the most potential. “Hell to the No” is poppy and catchy but comes off as a rip off of High School Musical. “Only Child” is emotional, but lacks depth. “Trouty Mouth” has a high ceiling but it could be too one note.

I realize Oral Intensity was terrible but I knew one of the dancers so I was strangely entertained. I worked with Ashley Galvan last year and I always get excited when I see my friends get work on TV.

Kurt’s line “There doing original songs” was extremely necessary, because I wouldn’t have been able to tell if Rachel’s song was currently a single or original.

Brittany line of the week: “My headband.” If you didn’t laugh when Brittany said her favorite was “My Headband” show yourself so I can shake my head disapprovingly at you.

7 comments:

  1. Nice review. No shtick from me about it. But you misread the Brittany and Santana storyline completely. Sorry, but you did. That line 'I don't know what I was thinking' was completely negated by her follwing words: 'Can you stop staring at me, I can't remember my locker combo'. I swear I'm not reading into this. Glee's writers know that the Brittana plot is so well supported they can afford to throw in lines like that to interest the shippers. And they deliberately gave the two a short scene actually talking about feelings, so that that the momentum wouldn't be crushed. I can guarantee that fanfiction is going to be exploding over the internet because of that one scene. They're just keeping it fresh, y'all. Lol I make myself lol.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think you may be giving Glee a bit too much credit. But we shall see. They may revisit it later, but most likely after not talking about for many many episodes so it will come out of nowhere and we'll be like, "oh yeah" from before. No new episodes until April and it looks like we'll be getting a heavy dose of Sue, so look for all stories involving students to come to a crashing halt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you went far enough with your criticisms. This was the worst episode of the entire series, and that's saying something (one word: Acafellas).

    The original songs? From predictable (Regionals) to stupid (everything else, but I give them the fact they were supposed to be).

    The love scenes (including, no, especially, Blaine/Kurt): forced. Thoroughly. Are we really supposed to believe that Blaine finally fell for Kurt because he sang Blackbird - hardly even tangentially related to the death of the bird? And are we really supposed to believe that anything BUT Finn/Rachel is going to happen?

    Kathy Griffin? Not funny. How much did she pay Glee to let her continue her Palin vendetta?

    In fact, the only thing halfway believable about this episode was New Directions winning. After all, their songs were less offensive to both the left ("Jesus Is My Friend?" Oh, come on. Even Sue isn't that nuts.) and to midwestern judges/crowd who would be shuddering at a love duet between two high school guys. Blandness wins the day, just as it would have in Ohio high school politics. Yee hah.

    And you pegged the one really funny moment: "My Headband." The one time I laughed out loud (maybe with the exception of Kurt's choice of "Blackbird," and I was somewhat chagrined when I found out that wasn't SUPPOSED to be funny.

    If I were Murphy/Falchuk, I'd seriously consider an episode where Finn wakes up and everything after his parents' wedding (a near-perfect episode) is just a bad dream. Then we could get on with the romances that we all know are going to finally come to fruition (Finn/Rachel, Will/Emma, and yes, even without "Blackbird," Blaine/Kurt) and the ones that SHOULD but probably won't (Sam/Quinn, Brittany/Artie) and let them continue to develop without the "plot twists" that aren't that twisty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely disagree with the comment above me (not to mention it was copy/pasted from another Glee article). No romances? This is a highschool drama...Finn waking up and half of season two being a dream? Are you serious? This why you're not a TV writer...And I live in the Midwest and I know very few people who would find two guys singing a song offensive.
    Blaine and Kurt are the show. I thought their scene was poignant, though Blaine's speech was a little awkward, but welcome to highschool. Everything that is supposed to be heartfelt just ends up awkward.
    Stop hating on Glee...this was a wonderful episode and I think the past few(with the exception of Sexy...Gwyneth Paltrow and all Will-related story lines need to die now. I agree with the critic, anything that detracts from sheer brilliance of the students to the disgusting, one-dimensional, annoying "good boy" that is Will Shuester is completely disgraceful) episodes have been a bit of a throw-back to what Glee really is...a show about a group of talented kids coming together, bickering, romancing, and in the end, uniting together, and winning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was my comment that I pasted (but had you read it, you'd know it was different here), anonymous. I didn't think that writer got it any better than this one did.
    Stop hating on Glee? Give me a break. I love this show, and that's why I get upset when it goes sideways. The reason I didn't like this episode is that it WASN'T Glee. "I knew Glee, sir, and this was NO Glee."
    You may not be old enough to remember that three classic shows - Soap (seriously, I think), Dallas (seriously), and The Bob Newhart Show (mocking Dallas) all used the "it was a dream" plot device - Dallas wiped out a whole miserable season that way. It was just a reference, like the quote above - I wasn't serious about wanting that, just expressing my disappointment with the direction of the show since "Furt."
    If you want to see a high school drama about talented kids winning, go back and watch "Fame." That's not what Glee is about. It's a COMEDY with dramatic elements. I will be quite surprised (and perhaps disappointed) if they win Nationals, because Glee's humor comes from the tension between wanting to be a winner and either losing or not being appreciated when you win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad we're having this ddebate as strong feelings positive or negative, usually come from loving a show. The harsh negatives are usually because we know just what the show can be. The reason why none of these story lines really hit home or felt "forced" was because they weren't fully developed throughout the season. I'm happy that Kurt is with Blaine, but do we really care at this point? They might as well be on another show. I didn;t mention it earlier, but Sue punching the judges was the most ridiculous thing. It's not funny and it doesn't make sense.

    When I hear, "Stop hating on Glee." I automatically think, "we need to take off our Glee colored glasses and really think critically." The show nailed it this season with "Silly Little Love Songs." It bombed with "The Sue Sylvester Shuffle." This show was somewhere in between. I wouldn;t have that many problems with the flavor of the week high school romance thing if they focused at least on one or two of them for more than an episode at a time.

    Side note: Whatever happened to Cheyenne Jackson and that girl he stole from McKinnely High? Is he the Vocal Adrenaline coach? And are they in a different region now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, here's an idea. Stop watching Glee. Then it's not an issue.

    I'll just go back to listening to Rebecca Black.

    ReplyDelete