ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Netflix Tuesday on a Weightloss Wednesday - 8/18

Netflix Tuesday on a Weightloss Wednesday? Just think of it as breakfast for dinner but not nearly as delicious but just as fattening. I'm taking a week off from weight loss updates so I can spend more time admiring my new sexy body.

I've enjoyed my 70's classics project so much, I'm extending it for a few more months. One of the best parts about this has been seeing actors that I know for their more recent work in their younger less famous roles. There is a certain joy I get from watching a movie and not being able to put my finger on where I know that guy from for about 3/4 of it then finally figuring it out. I had this experience this week with The Warriors. The Warrior Ajax, who wanted to fight everyone in sight, seemed very familiar to me. "Looking at him kind of makes me uneasy. Where do I know this guy from?" Then it hit me. Holy Crap! That's Dexter's dad Harry Morgan. Well one thing's for sure, James Remar didn't develop his creepy demeanor over the past 30 years, he was born with it. 

With that in mind....

The Warriors - See - This wasn't a new movie to me but when the ultimate director's cut came out on Blu Ray, I knew I had to add it to my queue. Just as I suspected, The Warriors continues to kick as much ass as it did 30 years ago. For those who have yet to see it, when you do you should realize how many of the jokes and catchphrases you've been laughing at for years but wasn't sure why, were taken from this movie. The different gangs are so beautifully cliched and stereotyped. I don't know what it is but something about this movie always makes me think of KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. If you have seen The Warriors you should see it again in all of it's HD glory and if you haven't you need to fill that huge hole in your movie watching resume.

Greenberg - Don't See - Initially, I was very disappointed in this Noah Baumbach film because of how much I loved Kicking and Screaming and The Squid and the Whale. Then I remembered how much I hated that piece of crap Margot at the Wedding. So ultimately I decided I should only watch Noah Baumbach movies that have the word "and" in the title. At the beginning of Greenberg, I couldn't stand the lead character, Roger played by Ben Stiller. By the end of the movie, I still couldn't stand him and he did nothing in between to influence me otherwise. Look, there's nothing wrong with having unlikeable characters be the focus of a movie but either the acting or writing has to be outstanding to overcome the viewers inclination to be repelled by them. This movie had neither.

Saint John of Las Vegas - See - Steve Buscemi owns roles like this, lonely, quirky, single guys. Add a solid cast including Sarah Silverman, Perter Dinklage and Romany Malco and you have a very watchable movie. It's part comedy, part mystery and part very strange love story. Steve Buscemi is a recovering gambling addict who is sent to investigate an insurance claim in Las Vegas. From there, everything just gets weird and wonderful, including strippers in wheel chairs giving lap dances.





She's Out of My League - See - This is a very marginal "See." My real recommendation would be to wait until it's on one of the movie channels and check it out then. There are no doubt some really funny parts and laugh out loud moments but most of the the movie is very predictable and not all that original. BTW Alice Eve is smoking hot and almost worth the price of admission.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I had decent expectations for Greenberg. Thanks for heads up on Saint John. Solid cast. Romany is one reason I'll give No Ordinary Family a shot. He's also gonna be in Eastbound. Promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for Eastbound. My hope for No Ordinary Family is that Julie Benz will be just as hot and half as annoying as she was on Dexter. I don't know why they didn't just give Vic Mackey superpowers and continue The Shield.

    ReplyDelete