ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Friday, February 4, 2011

Enemies of the Republic

In case you missed it college football had their biggest non game day of the year on Wednesday with National Letter of Intent Signing Day. As per usual names like Alabama, Texas, USC, Florida St. and LSU were all at the top of the recruiting services rankings. Just as predictable is the fact that a ton of kids from the state of Texas were signed to play at schools from coast to coast. Texas along with Florida and California routinely produces the more NCAA talent than the rest of the nation.

Personally, I think all these kids should want to play for the Horns in Austin but I can understand if the depth of the talent pool scares some of them away to other schools. What I can't understand is why any athlete would want to commit a traitorous act like leaving the state to play at a school like Oklahoma, LSU or Miami. OK maybe you're misguided and you don't want to attend school at the 40 acres, well there's plenty of other schools to choose from in The Republic of Texas.

If for whatever reason Austin isn't your kind of town, I've got a few suggestions for you. My first recommendation would be to go play for Kevin Sumlin at UH. I've got no affiliation with UH outside of the 3 days I attended classes before it sprinkled and I had to wade through waist deep water to get to class. I decided then the Coogs weren't for me. That was a long time ago and I'm sure they've fixed the drainage on campus by now. Plus I've got a man crush on Sumlin. If I wasn't a fig fat guy without an inkling of athletic talent, that's the guy I would want to play for.

Maybe, Houston's too big a city for your country sensibilities. Why not give Tech a shot? Tubberville seems like a damn fine coach and I'm sure he brought the student athlete stipend system with him over from the SEC.

Perhaps you really love animals and girls with camel toes, coach Sherman has got you covered.

Hate booze and sex? Baylor's there for ya.

Got a 12th level Fighter/Mage you can't bear to part with? Rice.

Want to spend your nights in the company of Ed Hardy wearing douche bags? SMU or TCU puts you right in the heart of DFW.

What I'm trying to say is Texas has a place for everyone. I can only think of two reasons why any player should leave to play outside the state. 1) No other school in the state recruits you 2) Your last name is O'Reilly and your dad is going to die from melancholy if you don't play for the Irish.

Davey Crockett did give his life at the Alamo to give you the opportunity to help the Pelini brothers win the Big 10. Be honorable. Be true. Be loyal to the Republic of Texas.

1 comment:

  1. Tubberville is all class!!!! (I really have no idea.) I hope he wins...

    ReplyDelete