ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Episodes Season 1 Finale Review

“I’m not gonna fire you, but I do think less of you.” -Merc

It should be stated that until I watched the finale I had no idea it would be the finale. Nothing in the previous 6 episodes led me to believe that we would be approaching the final episode. Only in the penultimate episode did we even get to real conflict. Having that been said, as a whole, I was not a fan of the first season of Episodes. As I was watching the second to last episode and the beginning of this episode I thought to myself, “I’m starting to feel like Matt should have slept with Beverly in the opening episode. It would have been more compelling watching them try to create a comedy pilot amidst all the dramatic tension.” Well wouldn’t you know, that’s what we have planned for Season 2, if there is a season 2.

The entire first season could have been compressed into one Pilot episode. I know this would mean we would miss out of some great banter about how funny English people talk from Matt LeBlanc, but when it comes to action, there was only one time I got interested, after Beverly slept with Matt. Aside from Sean being a super sleuth and all the British accent cracks, I found the finale pretty enjoyable. The arguments between Sean and Beverly were poignant and truthful. I had never like Beverly, and I don’t think I do now, but I did feel a bit sad while watching her lose the man of her dreams. My dislike for Beverly was strong in the opening scene of this episode. She seems awfully content with her affair until Matt tells her nothing happened between Sean and Morning. Oh what? Now that it’s not revenge it’s not okay anymore? Now that you’re the only one at fault the sleeping with “Joey” wasn’t a good idea? How about being beyond reproach or still honoring the commitment to your husband? Is that to much to ask? Apparently for Beverly, yes, it was.

I very much enjoyed the way Matt LeBlanc was portrayed as such a kind hearted easy going sleaze ball. His depiction was calculated the whole time. He’s the type of guy who would befriend you, try and hook you up with a hot actress, and then bang your wife. I particularly enjoyed the moment where he reached over a weeping Beverly to get a drag off of the cigarette he lent her since he was out. He wasn’t focused on the life he just ruined, he needed to get his post coital smoke on. We never really hated him, but we should have. Another character I was fond of was Carol, played brilliantly by Kathleen Rose Perkins. Her desire to please everyone, including her over bearing boss Merc, made for many light hearted moments when she would try and soften the blows to the Lincolns. And I’d like to make quick mention that in his limited screen time, I found Joseph May’s Andy Button to be very funny. If there’s a season 2, I hope they find a way to bring him back.

If the show can find honesty in the characters, I think Season 2 can be decent. I’m not sold on if we need another season of this show, but I think there is some potential. Does Sean pursue Morning? How to Beverly and Sean separate their personal lives from work to do their job? Do they try and take out their frustrations by writing a compelling TV series? I’m not sure. But until I see a second season the way the Lincoln’s feel about their pilot of Pucks! is how I feel about Episodes. I wonder if this is all just an elaborate expensive joke Showtime is playing on the viewers. A few bright spots here and there, but the show ultimately fell flat for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment