ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Friday, February 25, 2011

Best Scenes From the Films of 2010

It’s almost March 2011, but given that the Academy Awards have not yet taken place, I feel discussing movies from 2010 still to be relevant. The best pictures and actors and directors have been discussed and debated ad nauseum, so I thought I’d talk about something I think very interesting: what are the best scenes from movies in 2010? There are few great films, like The Social Network, where the sum is greater than the whole of their parts. While a great movie, it didn’t have that one scene that stood out. I will warn you, there will be SPOILERS. This post also lets us include great comedies in the “best of...” discussion. So without further adieu, in descending order, the Best Scenes of 2010:

12. “Wee Man Midget Fight”, Jackass 3D:
In one of the more enjoyable movies of 2010 this particular scene made me so excited because it utilized my two favorite things about Jackass scenes: story and outsiders reactions. Just great use of the “piling on” story telling technique. Enter scorned boyfriend, he brings in his midget friends, they fight, in come midget cops, and just when you think it’s over, midget paramedics! I just love that no body in the bar broke it up. You can’t break up a good midget fight. Law

11. “Gettin’ Her Daddy’s Bones,” Winter’s Bone:
I wasn’t completely sold on Winter’s Bone the movie, but this scene can not be denied. It fully encapsulates the world that is created. Seeing Ree reach down and grab the hand of her deceased father was haunting and moving. I wish the best scene from this movie included John Hawkes, but alas, chainsaw dismemberment wins out.

10. “Hallway Fight,” Inception:
Another movie I wasn’t particularly high on, but it’s stunning visuals were just that: stunning. This fight was imaginative and innovative. Cut together with scenes from other states of dreams, it really showed the thought in the choreography. I’m pretty amazed JGL never hit his head on a boom mic or camera while flipping around.



9. “Fake Sex,” Easy A:
I’m not entirely sure why this movie didn’t get more run. Emma Stone delivers a comedic tour de force in this modern day retelling of Scarlet Letter. The inciting incident in this film is just top notch comedy. I particularly loved when Brandon , played by Dan Byrd, exclaims, “Can you smell that?” I just loved seeing two kids stumble through the sounds and motions of sex having never actually done it.

8.“Fall of Big Daddy,” Kick-Ass:
What is with awesome fights in hallways in 2010? Oscar snub Chloe Moretz as Hit-Girl, gives us not only one of the best scenes of 2010, but definitely the most “bad ass.” There’s just something about watching an 11 year old deliver merciless head shots to several henchman. This scene is made infinitely better coming off the heels of perhaps the best line of the movie, “Show’s over mother f*ckers.” I can’t wait for the sequel to come out.

7. “I Won’t Dance,” Step Up: 3D:
I think I’m going to lose some of you here, but hear me out. The Academy Awards honors, acting, directing, writing, original songs, etc. It’s long overdue to include a Best Choreography category. Dance is a vital part of entertainment and we shouldn’t dismiss it. This scene was absolutely perfect. Danced brilliantly by Adam G. Sevani and Alyson Stoner (of Missy Elliot music fame), they take us on a playfully journey of their entire relationship. Very smart choreography utilizing several styles and really giving us that throwback Fred Astaire/Ginger Rodgers feel of old movie musicals make it one of the best of 2010.



6. “Building of OP Restrepo,” Restrepo:
This scene from the great documentary really captures the dangers these men faced. Making such a bold move in the deadliest place on earth was breathtaking filmmaking. I still can’t believe these scenes were captured so vividly on camera.

5. “Final Dance (or Swan Song),” Black Swan:
I know a lot of people will say “the scene” from Black Swan was between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman, and while that scene was all well and good, the final sequence was better. Black Swan had me on the edge of my seat the whole movie. Aronofsky weaved a tale of mystery and drama in such a thrilling way that when the film culminated in the brilliant fade to white, I was left speechless.

4. "Where it All Goes Wrong," Blue Valentine:
This whole movie was a sucker punch to my gut of emotions. We were lead to believe that this relationship was built on this primal sense of love, and it would carry them for the rest of their lives. But the flame of passion burnt out. During their romantic getaway to the "future room" we are hit such a real scene, were almost sick watching. We get to watch Ryan Gosling, in perhaps the best performance of the year, see his marriage slip away from and his reaction is spot on. He fights so hard for her, but she's already gone.

3. “Self Administered Arm Amputation,” 127 Hours:
I’m so glad I saw this movie in the theatre. The amount of uneasiness in the theatre during this scene was palpable. I must admit, even I got a little bit squeamish at the sight. First he has to break his arm in two directions, then use a poor excuse for a knife to basically tear his arm off? Ouch. I really like how he attempted it earlier, but even staring death in the face, he couldn;t tolerate the pain or sight of it. He basically had to die for a minute and come back to realize it had to be done. The sound effects and camera cuts make this scene so visceral and memorable.

2. “The Incinerator,” Toy Story 3:
Seeing those toys that we have come to love so much join hands in solidarity as they come to grips with their fate is easily one of the most memorable and touching scenes of 2010. Watching each toy struggle for a minute before they realize they’re out of options and the best way to go out is by being with your loved ones was so moving that I shed tears. Real ones. I don’t know how you did it Pixar, but you made you made me examine my own life and think who I would like to meet the incinerator with. Coming to grips with my mortality is not something I like to think about, but I was forced after this scene. Truly a provocative scene.

1. “Holding Court on the Streets,” The Town:
There was something so absolutely perfect and human about the moment Jeremy Renner takes a sip of the discarded soda before he meets his fate. I can’t fully comprehend what it would be like to get one last pleasure of this world before I die. I’m sure most people would think sex, or a delicious steak, or a smile from their spouse, but Renner couldn’t have seemed more pleased with the taste of that flat old soda. I wonder just how hightened your senses are the moment before you die. The act is so simple, yet in that most human of moments, it made the scene completely memorable and unforgettable. Congratulations Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner and The Town you have earned the Best Scene of 2010 award from me!

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! There are a few movies I have yet to see, but I agree on the ones I have seen. I almost cried just now reliving Toy Story, even though I didn't cry the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Toy Story scene is great. Actually, Toy Story 3 is just great. I was skeptical in its nomination, like, oh the obligatory animated movie gets a nom now that we're at 10, but no. Really a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toy Story is a Good Film..the first two were better...and the black swan Scene was better than the the three in front of it...that i saw
    theres no question the scene of black swan is at the end....the scene between kunis and portman was good too..but nothing compared to the end...
    swan had an end that the kings speech needed...INTEREST

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Black Swan scene is really great. I loved the other 4 more. Had the individual moments that made them stand out. Loving Swan scene was a product of the movie being so good, doesn't stand as well on its own. But still very very good.

    ReplyDelete