ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Monday, February 28, 2011

Big Love "Til Death Do Us Part" Review



I appreciate that HBO and Showtime have schedules that allow them to air programs a multitude of times. The also understand viewers in some sense set their own schedules these days with DVRs. However, for schmoes like me and Barry charged with reviewing these shows running a new episode head to head with the Oscars creates a scheduling pain in the ass. How's a guy supposed to go to a bitchin' Oscar party, get home after midnight and still find a way to watch these Sunday night shows? Enough of my problems though, what went down on Big Love?

It's difficult to say there was something admirable about Roman or Alby but at least we can say they knew what they were/are. Bill on the other hand is in complete denial. Either that or he's a complete moron who fell ass backwards into building a successful business. I'm finding it more difficult to tell with each passing episode. Bill has managed to completely alienate the two people who have stood by him through the years, Barb and Don. His refusal to compromise with the LDS or Alby has led to Home Plus teetering on the brink of failure. Costing not only himself and his family but his business partner Don as well. Don never asked for any of this but Bill has continued to force his business principles on his "friend" to the point that Don's own livelihood is in peril. All Don has ever wanted is his three wives and kids, a nice successful business and a life out of the spotlight. Thanks Bill you've ruined that dream.

The position he has place Barb in is even more precarious. She has already left Bill's church, granted him his "paper" divorce and leaving her exposed to Nicki's crazy whims. Now with the families financial security at risk Bill has the balls to ask Barb, Margene and Nicki to reseal themselves to one another. Don't think everything is OK just because Barb wants a little action. Sister wives have needs too. I keep wanting to say Bill's not the dumbest husband on Earth just the most selfish but the evidence points otherwise. But don't sleep on Bill's selfishness, it's a favorite in most match ups.

Would a smart guy have a discussion about marrying a 16 year old in front of Heather? Would a smart guy under public scrutiny let that same 16 year old he married start holding rallies on television? Would a smart guy who has enemies in the state house think this is a good time to file divorce papers? Would a smart guy choose now to go to war with Alby who is capable of doing literally anything? What I'm trying to say here is Bill Henrickson, idiot.

Speaking of Alby, no one rallies the compound troops like our man. No cell phones, no TVs, no computers, I couldn't live under his regime but he does no how to lock it down. His smarmy responses to Bill when he raised the rent on Home Plus was pure gold. Still, Alby just can't resist the smooth skin of a dirty Mormon boy and Verlan seems to be just fine with that. I'm pretty sure Verlan is going to be earning his position as Alby's pet in more way than one. I don't know exactly what he's going to do for Alby but I'm pretty sure sex, guns and Bill are involved.

There are a few story lines that have become white noise to me Cara Lynn and her teacher, Lois and Margene's pyramid scheme. I'm finding it tough to see the bigger picture of the Cara Lynn saga. Is there a dramatic payoff here? To me, I feel like Amanda Seyfried left the show and they felt like they had to fill a teen girl transitioning into womanhood void. The only problem being no one noticed the void. This final season should be about the sister wives. This storyline offers nothing in the way of character revelation or redemption for the Henricksons. At this point, it is nothing more than a waste of screen time. If we're lucky the two of them will run away together and elope never to be heard from again.

As far as Lois is concerned we know she is bat shit crazy. I'm almost certain Lois believes she is Sarah Palmer at this point. She tried to kill Frank and herself this week and I thought "yeah that's nice way to put a pin in Lois and Frank they ride off into the sunset victims of their own insanities." Alas, Barb came in too soon and my dream was squashed. Lois is going to end up in a home but the way her idiot son is committing self sabotage I don't know who's going to pay for it.

Margene's pyramid scheme was funny at first. She's naive and gullible. So it was natural for her to get involved in a scheme like this. Now, it's just kind of an irritant. Bill's already fighting a two front war if Goji gets involved Bill's house of cards crumbles.

Where is this all going with only three episodes left? Obviously, they are going to pursue statutory rape charges against Bill for marrying Margene when she was only 16. Is Barb going to be implicated as an accomplice based on Margene's speech about how Barb was the one who brought her into the family? The farther this progresses with the state house, the law and LDS all after Bill and a war with Alby on the horizon, I feel like end all ends with Bill and Nicki together as the heads of Juniper Creek.  I think viewers get solace in Barb's escape from the situation and forming her own church. Margene is the wild card but I think she ends up in the secular world finally leading the kind of life she never new was available to her.

A few other thoughts:

  • Jeanne Tripplehorn has been outstanding all season.
  • Cloe Sevigny was incredible last night. She was utterly convincing as a woman in her 30's finally getting a chance to live out her girlhood fantasies of a wedding and marriage.
  • The secret sealing ceremony was almost as despicable as asking Barb for a divorce.
  • I liked Carl better when he was cleaning the pool at Jerry Seinfeld's health club.
  • I'm thinking Utah divorce laws might not be as easy as Big Love makes them out to be.
  • 2 more episodes until Amanda Seyfried and Aaron Paul return. That's a good thing.
  • I'm over Crazy Rhonda.
  • I just realized this weekend that Heather is the little girl from Water World also starring Jeanne Tripplehorn.
  • If I ever have another wedding I'm definitely wearing a white suit like Bill's. Except I'm also going to wear Raylan Givens cowboy hat.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part of the show was the look on Nicki's face when she turned around after being married. That and when she thanked Barb. While I think JT has rocked this season, it's those looks that make me think CS is the best actor on this show.

    Thank God we aren't subjected to true sex scenes with Cara Lynn and her teacher. The crimped hair and t-shirt are more than enough.

    I liked this episode, but at this point they are starting to rush things a bit. They need to get rid of the extra crap and focus on the family. Guess we'll see if they do.

    Could Alby be any better? Loved him telling Verlan to go to the corner.

    I'm not sure what I think of Barb marrying them b/c I just feel so sorry for her.

    I have also decided that Bill could end up dead. Which might actually make me happier than the scenario we've talked about...the crazies are all after him, and I think it would be a perfect ending releasing everyone.

    And Ben...there is just nothing to say about him.

    ReplyDelete