ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Big Love "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." Review

"Are you and Renee Clayton being lesbians together?" Nancy Davis Dutton

I have no reason for starting this review with that quote except that it made me laugh out loud. The real stars of this week's episode "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." were Jeanne Tripplehorn and the disintegrating relationships in the Henrickson house hold. Seriously, if Tripplehorn isn't nominated for an Emmy for her performance this season it will be a terrible oversight. She and the writing for her character have been outstanding this season.

Poor Barb can't win for losing. When she's squarely in the Henrickson polygamy camp her mother and sister won't have anything to do with her. Now that things are falling apart they are coming after her because she has formed a relationship with a "radical" free thinker like Renee Clayton. I can't think of a worse place to be than in a room with Nicki and Bill on one side and Nancy on the other. I love what Barb is doing. I think long time fans of the show have been dying for her to finally tell Bill what he can do with half the bullshit he puts her through. And very smart of Barb not to trust Nicki with her financial welfare. Barb has always been written as the most level headed, intelligent character on the show. Those attributes are a big reason fans are so happy to see her making her own way.

Was there a less surprising turn than Nicki getting drunk on power. She's gonna make sure everyone knows it's her time and she's now BWOC (Big Wife on Compound). She isn't going to let poor Margene do anything, ever. Especially if it involves a scandalous song like "Bridge Over Troubled Water." I don't think she liked the reworked divorce agreement and pre-nup too much. I did thoroughly enjoy her "right now I want to punch you in the face." I'm a big proponent of telling people you want to punch them in the face so that was right in my wheelhouse.

That Ben is quite the chip off the ol' block isn't he? He's turned out to be quite the little know it all prick. Can't we just trade him in for half a season of Amanda Seyfried? I'm about as disinterested in Ben as Barb and Bill were in his "How to Problem Solve a Marriage" literature. Good decision going after Crazy Rhonda, that doesn't have the potential to blow up in your face. At least we know he gets his poor decision making honest. By the way, what kind of crazy strip clubs are they running in Utah? I've been to my share of those places but I've never seen one that lets the strippers sing their own songs. I'm kind of intrigued now.

I can't decide if the Lois and Frank scenes were the sweetest, saddest or scariest shit I've ever seen. I kept waiting for Lois to chop his head off or for Frank to strangle her deranged ass. There's got to be a murder suicide on the horizon for these two.

How little do I care about the Cara Lynn and her teacher stuff? I didn't even realize the two of them had kissed last week. It's the final five episodes of the final season. I don't need new characters and their story lines taking away from the great stuff going on inside the Henrickson household or from great established characters like Alby.

Speaking of Alby, he has got to have the most finely tuned gaydar on the planet. He never misses. I would not want to be Verlain and having to pay Alby back for a poorly executed job with "favors." The scene with Bill, Don and Alby didn't measure up and really seemed forced and out of place.

So where are we headed. Judging from the previews, things really start to heat up with Alby. Just as I predicted it appears Bill is making a power play with Juniper Creek. Things can get ugly in a hurry with Alby and his gang of Hummer jockeys. I want to see Barb continue her journey of self realization. Bill can either get on board or be stuck dealing with Nicki all by himself. Margene must have been a big Melrose Place fan because she's got it bad for Grant Show and you know he naive ass is going to find herself putting everything in jeopardy again chasing her lusts.

5 comments:

  1. Completely agree about Barb. She is on fire, Nicki has always had good writing, but she is second best this year. Maybe the writers didn't forgive her comments about last season? The scene where they confront her about the pre-nup was awesome. Can they just get rid of Bill and focus only on the sister wives for the rest of the season?

    For the first time ever, I actually liked the scenes of Frank and Lois. Like you've said before, I can't watch her without thinking of Twin Peaks. Plus, she is just bat crazy and it gets on my nerves.

    Any chance that Bill is left alone with just Nicki?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10-20 years ago I would have said no way the family isn't back together in the end. Today, I say there's a decent chance they both end up back on the compound without Barb and less likely without Marg.

    Do you see any reason for the Cara Lynn stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. True...no need for a tidy ending. Would love for Bill to get screwed over with Alby and wives leaving him. There is no way in hell Barb goes to the compound.

    I didn't think anything about Marg first season, but she has really grown on me. While she does some stupid shit, 16 anyone, she is really a pretty interesting character.

    With you on Cara Lynn. I liked how she came at the end of season 3, interesting twist, but she is taking up valuable time now. I don't care about her and am never really interested in teacher/student relationships. We already had the underage thing taken care of at the compound and now with Marg.

    Also glad Heather appears to be gone too. I mean how did she end up caroling with the family!

    ReplyDelete