ApeDonkey

301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.apedonkey.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Office - "PDA" Review

“It’s like a time bomb. It’s ticking down and when it goes off no more kissing, no more hugging. Sexual time bomb.” -Michael Scott

When The Office is firing on all cylinders like it was tonight, there’s not a better comedy out there. I know that The Office has lost some viewers along the way, but I have remained a fan throughout the journey. Hopefully tonight’s episode brings some people back home. The Office works best when the story is woven around a theme that allows characters to intertwine with each other and have separate instances to shine.

Tonight’s theme of love, or Valentine’s Day, or sex, or PDA or whatever you want to call it centered largely around the new relationship of Michael and Holly. Through this main line we were able to see an Erin and Andy/Gabe branch, a Pam and Jim branch and a Gabe and Michael branch. We were able to see story lines about characters we’ve long since cared about develop and make us smile. Gabe’s three theories on Holly and Michael’s PDA were simultaneously hilarious (xtc), poignant(reminding them of how transient Holly’s stay is), and uncomfortable (the weakening of their sexual climaxes). It was a great way to snap Michael and Holly into focus and accelerate their relationship to the next level. I really enjoyed seeing Michael and Holly react to the thought of Holly leaving soon. I believe that they hadn’t thought about her leaving. It looks like the escape plan is Michael leaving with Holly. I do look for a nice moment when Toby returns and essentially causes Michael to skip town with the love of his life. Will he finally show compassion? Maybe it’s not that important.

The show is dying for Andy and Erin to be together, but I’m glad they aren’t. If you recall the beginning of the series when Pam and Jim weren’t together, we were treated to some of the best moments the show had to offer. It’s good to see the writer’s taking their time with this one allowing for the desire for them to be together build up in the viewers heart. Remember, there’s going to be a drastic change in screen time once the new boss shows up.

The conference room is where the show lives and dies. We are able to see the whole cast as one making decisions that set the tone for the rest of the episode. When a scene takes place in the conference room, it’s as if the writers are highlighting the scene for the viewer. Tonight’s meeting on PDA was brilliantly done. The closets being dubbed as hook up zones was great. “What’s the hook up zone’s policy on masturbation?” “Pro.” Classic The Office. It must be tricky for the director’s to catch every glance and every nod that the actors give them. I’m always amazed at the cast’s listening ability.

One can only hope that the rest of Michael’s episodes are this good.

Other thoughts:

-Dark way to start the episode. You think Pam would have told people what the card was for or at least read it. Dead grandma jokes are a tough sell.
-Although hilarious(like them sitting in the same chair at the meeting), I just don’t think Holly would be so oblivious to the thoughts on PDA. She’s good at her job.
-Kevin with some great one liners tonight. “Let me finish! I enjoy watching them because it makes me horny.” “She goes to another school.”
-If I haven’t mentioned it before, I think Creed, pound for pound, is the funniest character on the show.
-Welcome back Jim! Missed you the last 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. On the card thing, when I was an AA I was responsible for passing cards around, and there were always cards going around. One of our co-workers brothers died and yes, someone wrote happy birthday, then another person read what they wrote and did the same. They just pass the card to each other, and me having real work to do, was not able to monitor the intelligence of the staff. So I totally understood this situation, and laughed.

    I also love every time Creed is referenced or on camera, always hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy superb website! Does running a blog such as
    this take a lot of work? I have absolutely no knowledge of
    coding however I was hoping to start my own blog in the
    near future. Anyhow, should you have any suggestions or techniques for new
    blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject but I just wanted to ask.
    Many thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my page :: online roulette

    ReplyDelete